Roof rack

gilliesduncan

Roof rack

Post by gilliesduncan » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:22 am

Hi, I have a Ford ranger and have fitted a steel bumper with a winch which works fine. I now want to make my own roof rack the full length of the car to take a roof tent and bicycle carriers. The weight is within the limits but I want to weld the rack to the steel bumpers at the front. It will be 2 steel bars vertically in each corner. My question is whether or not this is legal? I cannot find any information on the internet

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

LostWorldAdventures
Site Admin

Re: Roof rack

Post by LostWorldAdventures » Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:41 pm

Hi

Its a very grey area,

Ive seen this locally on a car that has a huge roof rack and 2 corner posts at the front, so I think you would get away with it.

Its best to ask the insurance company, as you already have a steel bumper i wouldn't have thought it a big issue.

The law on bull bars mainly states its illegal to sell bull bars, not fit them.
It is not illegal for vehicles to be fitted with bull bars, although the Department would not
recommend their fitment unless it has been shown, through compliance with specified safety
standards, that they do not pose an additional risk of injury to pedestrians or other vulnerable road
users.

There are no plans for legislation to require bull bars that are already fitted to be removed.
However, since 25 May 2007, it has been an offence for bull bars that have not been approved as
compliant with those safety standards to be sold. Approved devices will carry an indelible ‘e’ mark

Kelvo

Post by Kelvo » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:25 pm

The biggest issue you have is if the Ranger has SRS airbags. Fitting non-standard front bumpers can alter the impact characteristics either setting the SRS airbags too soon or too late. The second issue is the chassis and body are separate parts bolted together with rubber isolators, meaning they will move separately to each other. This will put stress on the roofrack and mountings if part of the rack is body mounted and another is chassis mounted. This is also why you should have two smaller roofrack son any double cab, one fixed to the cab and the other fixed to the canopy.

gilliesduncan

Post by gilliesduncan » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:09 am

Thank you for the info. I didnt think of the movement either so I will look into that

gilliesduncan

Post by gilliesduncan » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:10 am

I saw this on the road which I assume is legalImage

Kelvo

Post by Kelvo » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:04 pm

Just because it’s on the road doesn’t necessarily mean it’s legal.

I doubt it is legal due to the age of the vehicle and the reduction in pedestrian impact protection. It would stand more chance of being legal by having the uprights and protruding bumper brackets encased in impact absorbing material.

But like everything it’s fine until something goes wrong...